Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Earthquake

So apparently the little earthquake that I felt earlier this morning was actually kind of a big deal.  The people working at the hotel we were staying at said that tremors comprable to the ones we felt were fairly common so we didn't think a whole lot of it.  The thing is our hotel was really close to this really huge mountain which is also called the Arenal Volcano because well, its a volcano.  The quake hit as I was sitting on my bed looking at yesterday's photos and initially I didn't understand why everything was shaking.  I thought maybe I was having a minor psychotic breakdown, but then it kept on going.  We realized that it was an earthquake and my next thought was that the volcano was about to erupt and that I was going to die a fiery brimstone filled death.  The tremor was a pretty long one apparently, it lasted about 20 seconds where I was.  Thankfully there was no damage or general mayhem, the worst of it was a picture frame that fell and shattered on the ground.  Conveniently we were scheduled to leave a little less than an hour after it hit so we continued our day as usual.  To leave Arenal we had a short boat ride followed by a drive through the mountains in the area as we set off for Monte Verde.  The sediment in the area is pretty loose and sandy and from the shores of the lakes to the mountains sides we drove past we saw displaced earth that had fallen when the quake hit and one or two sizable cracks in the ground as well.  Luckily no roads or anything were made impassible and throughout the country the damage wasn't too terrible.  Could have been a lot worse I suppose.  But anyways, the earthquake was real cool.  This will hopefully / hopefully not be my last earthquake.  I kind of have mixed feeling on the subject.  Anywhoo if y'all were worrying about about me and the fam, not that any of you were,  don't worry, all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment